Jazz Trumpet Forum

Author Topic: Unidentified Music -- Miles Davis or not?  (Read 730 times)

Offline iconkid

• View Profile
Unidentified Music -- Miles Davis or not?
« on: September 06, 2017, 11:55:35 PM »
I'm trying to learn the identity of a piece of Jazz music I recorded off the radio in New York City thirty years ago.  Some folks think it's Miles Davis with one of his bands, and some think it's not, but no one has been able to tell me with certainty who it is.  Many people have listened to this clip including a few Jazz experts and they are all stumped.  I thought it was a unique version of "Tutu" because it uses the same lumbering 3-note bass riff thoughtout much of the piece as well as having a break where the trumpet brings up the tension with six ascending notes.  Other people have agreed with me that the base riff and the break are essentially the same while the stuff inbetween is quite different.  I remember the DJ announce the piece as "Tutu" on WBLS Sunday Classics (New York City).  I contacted the station and was told that, if the album was ever there, it was probably in Hal Jackson's personal record stash which they threw away after Hal passed on.  The experts at Miles' official web site say it's not him.  I've sent queries on this to several Jazz Music forums and dozens of Jazz radio stations across the country, and everyone is stumpted on where this music came from.  I've even tried contacting some of the musicians who worked with Miles such as Marcus Miller and Wallace Roney (through their web pages) but it seems that they're too aloof to respond.

Please listen to the 2-minute 40-second portion I captured, which I've posted on YouTube.  Can anyone make a guess as to who any of the musicians are.  (this sound sample also skips a bit.  There's an explanation for that but it's a long one).  External links are not allowed on this site.  To listen to the sound clip you'll have to go to my YouTube channel "caddyjoint96" and play the video entitled "Miles Davis."

Thanks.